I have a few questions for you.
What obstacle do you allow to stand in your way from living your dreams? What stops you from changing in an area of your life that is a struggle, year after year?
I could also ask this question in many other ways…
What stops you from going after that career you dream of?
What stops you from taking a chance?
What stops you from getting organized?
What stops you from losing weight?
Finish that question with any kind of goal you have ever had.
For me, it has usually been the fear.
Just being honest.
The fear of putting myself out there and people thinking all kinds of crazy things about me.
The fear of putting myself out there and getting rejected.
The fear of going all in and failing.
The fear of change.
The fear of not being able to do “whatever” perfect.
The fear of conflict and hatefulness of others.
The fear of not being able to complete x-y-z.
And the list goes on.
The reality is that the Bible tells us in 1 Timothy 1:7 that “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.”
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Trusting Fear More
When I trust in my fear more than I trust the Spirit of God, I am limiting the very power He gives me. Therefore, I allow Satan to win the battle. Whether I realize it or not, I am walking in Satan’s plan for my life…rather than the Creator’s plan.
My attention is tuned in to my fear, my frustration, the distractions, the procrastination, (add whatever struggle you want to here) and away from God’s goodness, His plan for my life, and His ministry. My focus is split and diluted.
When this happens, it’s a vicious cycle that is difficult to break free from. Remember, the enemy came to steal, kill, and destroy. What better way to destroy you than to keep you from God and His perfect plan for your life?
How do I break free from this cycle?
- Call the fear out. Acknowledge it. Put it on the table. Look at it. Study it. Recognize it for what it is. A lie.
- Acknowledge Reality. Oftentimes our fears have a base, a starting point, a foundation (real or imagined).
- Search the Bible for what God says about the fear. There’s the truth.
- Summize a plan, a strategy to begin thinking about that fear differently. By not allowing it to hold you captive, it loses power over you.
- Create a new plan of action. What are 3 things you can begin doing to walk in faith right now?
Repeat this process over and over to get through it and start living by faith. Don’t allow the enemy to steal from you what God has destined in you. Get the Free Fear Journal Page now. Print out about 10 of them and get started actively pursuing your dreams. When you finish those 10 pages, print out more!
Trust in Him. Trust His Word.
***Below are affiliate links, which means when you click on a picture, it will take you to DaySpring, a Christian business that has been around since 1979. You can read about the product and if you make a purchase, I will make a little money from a referral fee. However your price remains the same. See my full disclosure here.
Just a little something to ponder …
Times are changing. I have to stretch myself beyond my borders.
I know. I don’t like it either. It requires me to stop relying on myself and rely on Him more. It’s not about me. It’s about Him. It’s not about now. It’s about eternity.
It might mean that I need to do it scared, KNOWING I am walking in His power and no weapon formed against me will prosper because God’s power prevails!
Do you know what that’s called? Growing. It’s a lifelong process. I’ll get there if I keep working. You’ll get there if you keep working. Don’t give up. When we give up, Satan wins.
If you need some accountability or help in this area, check out my life coaching packages and let’s get started.
What stops you?
Get your copy of my entire Sincerely Christi Resource Library,
including the countdown calendar below!
I have a wonderful Resource Library full of all kinds of helpful things, and I want you to have it all FREE!
I’ve created several printables in the self-help category such as:
- the fear/faith journal page so you can get past your fears and walk in faith
- the Love evaluation that will help you love others according to 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
- the first 2 chapters of my book entitled Your Marriage Retreat: 7 Date Nights to a Thriving Marriage
- decorative scripture printables
- several lists of my favorite Christian books on Amazon,
- a growing directory of my favorite Christian bloggers (COMING SOON),
- and so much more.